Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Social Media marketing (is that what you call it?)

Another hot sticky day in Brisbane, and through the heat my thoughts turn to this new (for me) concept of social marketing (using twitter, facebook etc, even blogs!).

I am certainly no expert at this, and perhaps will never be, do I need to be for my business to be massively successful is the question I keep asking myself. I run an online business (http://www.uwantabet.com/) so I am giving this question the serious thought and due consideration it deserves.

The truth is that when this concept was first suggested to me I thought well that doesn't sound like much fun. It didn't resonate at all with me at all, who knows why? Perhaps at 36 I have just been conditioned to balk at anything I really don't know about, to technology based, ????

But I want my business to be massively successful, and I know it will be, just the 'how' is never clear to me, and nor should it be. In fact that is how I like to run things, simply avoid using the word 'how'. Try it, it is almost impossible to do when you first try, however over time it can be eradicated almost completely. Why the hell would you want to do that?? (crazy business man)

Quite simply by using the word 'How', you are only tapping into your own knowledge, ideas, beliefs, misconceptions. I have already admitted quite freely that I am no expert at Social Marketing, and no expert at anything really, I just have the ability to find the right information for my business at the right time, from the right people. (perhaps I am an expert at that?? nah)

Instead of saying how do we do that for example, ask what do we need to do to achieve that instead......I have built my business completely to date on this concept. I have never:
1. been a CEO
2. started a company
3. had any exposure to a sports betting company or industry
4. worked for myself
Not an issue, I wanted to do all these things so I asked (and continually do) what do I do next, and go and do it. It allows me to find solutions that are outside my understanding of things. Give it ago.

Anyway back to Social Market, yes I will give it a go,

hmmmm what do I need to do to get my head around it all.....

Cheers Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment